Recommendations for mechanically reducing plaque
Recommendations for mechanically reducing plaqueA panel of MEA academic dentists gathered for a two-day scientific consensus to discuss recommendations for mechanically reducing plaque and maintaining the best possible oral health.
The consensus led by Prof. Crawford Bain (Program Director Periodontology at Hamdan Bin Mohammad College of Dental Medicine) and Dr. Arwa Al-Sayed (Director of the Saudi Board in Periodontics and Chairman of the Saudi fellowship program in Implant Dentistry) was organized as a first of its kind during a two day consensus based on the Delphi methodology. With a focus on tooth brushing habits and oral care.
Over the two days, the initial consensus was as follows:
- Evidence suggests that oscillating-rotating powerbrushes are more effective in the short & long term compared to manual brushes. According to present data, over the short & long term, power brushes are better at maintaining oral health.
- Evidence suggests that oscillating-rotating powerbrushes are superior to all others in the short & long term.
- Bluetooth enabled powerbrushes with interactive apps and smartguides have the potential to aid in better compliance from children. This consensus suggested that powerbrushing can be started at any age if parent and child are comfortable with it.
- Powerbrushes with an oscillating-rotating mode of action are more effective than others at reducing and preventing gingivitis in the short & long term.
- Prof. Crawford Bain - Chairman Periodontics Department, Hamdan Bin Mohammed College of Dental Medicine, UAE
- Dr. Arwa Al-Sayed - Chairman of the Saudi Fellowship Program in Implant Dentistry, Saudi Commission for Health Sciences, KSA
- Prof. Khaled Balto - Chairman Department of Endodontics, King Abdulaziz University, KSA
- Dr. Nabeel Al-Sabeeha - Consultant Prosthodontist, Ministry of Health, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE
- Dr. Elias Berdouses - Assistant Professor Department of Paediatric Dentistry, European University College, Dubai, UAE
- Dr. Ajay Juneja - Specialist Prosthodontist and Esthetic Dentist, Private Practice, Dubai, UAE
- Dr. Montasser Al-Qutub - Associate Professor in Periodontology & Implantology, King Saud University, KSA
- Dr. Nabih Nader - Clinical Chief Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Department, Lebanese University, Beirut, Lebanon
- Dr. Eftherios Kaklamanos - Assistant Professor of Orthodontics, Hamdan Bin Mohammed College of Dental Medicine, Dubai, UAE
- Dr. Badar Monir Zaki - Senior Consultant Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics, Al Nahdha Hospital/ Muscat Dental Specialists, Muscat, Oman